Specialist in New Zealand resource management law
Julie joined Ellis Gould in December 1986 when the firm was first formed. She became a partner as part of the litigation and resource management team in September 1988. She retired as a partner in 1995 to raise her family before returning as a consultant in 2001.
Julie has also trained through LEADR as a mediator and tutored on the NZ Law Society Litigation Skills training course 4 times. With over 30 years of experience, Julie has extensive expertise in all aspects of resource management and town planning.
Areas of expertise
- Retail planning issues
- Private plan change applications
- District plan changes and district plan reviews
- Resource consent and subdivision applications
- Public interest group issues
- Local Government Act issues
- Presenting cases in a range of forums including before district councils, the Environment Court and in the High Court
Examples of work
- Ministry of Education – Acting on appeals against the notice of requirement for a designation for Albany Senior High School and settling these to enable the school to open on time.
- Kiwi Income Property Trust – Acting for KIPT on Christchurch retail planning issues related to the district plan review, out of zone retail applications and more recently, submissions on Recovery Plans following the Canterbury earthquake sequence.
- Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of NZ Inc – Acted for the Society in the Environment Court opposing the removal of mangroves in Mangawhai Harbour because of the effects on bird life.
- Retail Holdings Limited – Acted for RHL on retail zoning matters for developments at Mission Bay, Takanini/Papakura and other planning matters in various greater Auckland locations.
- McConnell Property Limited – Acted on a private plan change application to rezone surplus land at Papakura Army Camp including dealing with Housing New Zealand and the New Zealand Defence Force.