Specialist in New Zealand resource management law
For over 25 years, Douglas has advised a wide range of clients on all matters related to resource management law. Clients value his expert legal advice and wealth of practical experience in this complex area.
Areas of expertise
- Designations for government departments and state owned enterprises
- Private plan changes and resource consent applications for large-scale retail, commercial and residential developments
- Urbanisation of land on the periphery of sites within metropolitan areas, and intensification or redevelopment of sites within those areas
- Advice on legislative and policy matters related to Parliamentary Bills and resource management policy statements and plans
Examples of work
- Sylvia Park – acted for Kiwi Income Property Trust for over 15 years on strategic planning and resource consent issues throughout NZ.
- Smales Farm, North Shore – acted for the Smale family for many years on planning matters related to the Smales Farm Business Centre.
- Foodstuffs supermarkets – acting for many years on strategic planning and resource consent issues throughout the northern part of New Zealand.
- Obtaining multiple designations for schools over a decade for Ministry of Education.
- Represented Sanford Limited and other fishing industry entities on the network of coastal and district plan changes and appeals relating to the Western Reclamation.
- Represented urban residential and industrial developers on extensive private and public plan changes that have enabled the extension of the Metropolitan Urban Limit and implementation of urban development at the periphery of Auckland.
- Representing Waitakere Ranges Protection Society Incorporated over a period of 20 years