Specialist in civil litigation and NZ employment law
Sarah-Jane has been at Ellis Gould since 1999 and a partner since 2011. Prior to this Sarah-Jane worked for Sainsbury Logan & Williams, Lawyers in Napier.
Sarah-Jane has a wide range of experience in all aspects of contractual and commercial litigation, and employment law. Sarah-Jane is committed to providing commercially focused pragmatic solutions to achieve clients' strategic goals.
Areas of expertise
- Advising employers on human resourcing compliance issues
- Appearing before the Employment Relations Authority and Employment Court
- Representing employers and employees at mediation
- Preparing employment agreements
- Advising clients on disciplinary processes, and on dispute resolution processes in relation to personal grievances
- Advising clients on civil litigation issues, including in relation to commercial and contractual matters, and appearances in the District and High Court jurisdictions
Examples of work
- Advising employers on all matters relating to their obligations to employees, including the conduct of disciplinary meetings for misconduct and/or poor performance, and advice on process and obligations relating to redundancy and restructuring.
- Appearances in the Employment Relations Authority relating to enforcement of contractual provisions (including restraint of trade provisions), defending personal grievance claims, and claims for damages against former employees.
- Appearances in the Auckland High Court in respect of commercial and contractual matters including actions based on contract, negligence, breach of fiduciary obligations and issues relating to land covenants.
- Appearances in the District Court jurisdiction in relation to breach of contract claims, and claims relating to intellectual property.
- Acted for a large organisation suing professional advisers for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary obligations with the case allocated a 3 week High Court trial.
- Also acted in a 3-day High Court trial in relation to breach of property covenant claims and acted for a building franchise company in the High Court jurisdiction defending intellectual property claims and breach of contract claims.
- Other employment law experience includes:
- Acting for employees in the Employment Relations Authority in defending claims for breach of contract, including in relation to restraint of trade provisions
- Acting for employers in claims against employees for breach of contract
- Acting for employers in defending personal grievance claims
- Advising employers on all issues arising from a company wide restructure