Meryl came to the Commercial Property Law team at Ellis Gould in 2016 after practicing in a city based boutique, large and medium sized law firm. Meryl has worked with a range of clients in both the public and private sectors from large corporate enterprises to small business owners. She focuses on understanding the client’s needs, the management culture, the goals, ideals and the vision of her clients before providing the best solutions. Meryl delivers sound, bespoke legal advice and partners with her clients to foster and implement strategies which both mitigate risk and create future business opportunities.
Meryl has written numerous articles which have been published locally in LawNews (a weekly ADLSi publication), MBIE’s newsletters and official website (Business.Govt.NZ) and internationally in World Investor NZ (Acorn Publishing) and GGI Forum (A Global Alliance of Independent Professional Firms publication). She has also presented seminars to clients on Corporate Governance, Directors Duties and Exit Strategies for Business Owners.
Point of Difference
Meryl’s personal business experience gained before practising law means she is well placed to assess her client’s unique needs and customise a commercial solutions ensuring that the client’s budget and time needs are met.
- Acted on the sale and purchase of residential and commercial property and advised on financing arrangements to facilitate those transactions.
- advised on franchise matters including advising various SME owners on franchise agreements with nationwide retail franchisors.
- advised on various business operational matters such as restructure of banking facilities, commercial leasing, debtor management, terms and conditions of trade, service agreements and contractor agreements.
- acted for vendors and purchasers of businesses including purchase of businesses with complex matters arising such as unique share options for key employees; complex ACC accreditation issues; accreditation and student fee trust issues.
- advised on insolvency and liquidation matters including acting for the liquidator in the hive-down of various businesses in liquidation.
- acted for incoming and exiting residents of retirement villages on necessary documentation. Meryl has a significant background in retirement village law and has acted for many retirement village operators on legal compliance matters.
Key Areas of Specialisation
- Banking and Finance
- Business Sale and Purchase
- Business Structuring and Finance
- Commercial Contracts
- Commercial Leasing
- Competition and Consumer Law
- Corporate Governance
- Creditor protection
- Education Law
- Incorporated Societies and Charitable Trusts
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Takeovers
- Overseas Investment in NZ (OIO)
- Property Finance and Securities
- Receiverships, Insolvencies and Liquidations
- Retirement Villages Law
- Sale and Purchase of Real Estate